My yarn arrived the other day and I couldn’t wait to get started on my latest sweater design. All my swatching was done, so I dove straight in.
I absolutely love this yarn – Universal Yarn’s Bamboo Pop (50% cotton, 50% bamboo). It’s not very shiny either, like a lot of cotton yarns. To me, it has the perfect amount of sheen. It’s also very soft and light weight.
It’s rather difficult to see in the picture, but it’s basically stockinette stitch with three cable sections for the box pleats on the front and one for the back. Since I’m not at the point yet of making the pleats, the cables look really far apart. Each cable section is 16 stitches, so there’s 16 stitches in between each section for the pleat itself. Once I fold everything together, the cable sections will be right next to each other.
I actually thought about adding more pleats, but, boy, do you have I have a lot of stitches on the needle to make the pleats! Essentially, you have to double the number of stitches for each pleat. Right now, I’m knitting in the round so I have 340 stitches on the needles. That’s a lot of stitches! When I make the pleats, I’ll end up with 64 less stitches for a manageable 276 stitches.
The stitches at the bottom also are rather loose as I used a U.S. size 7 needle. I’ve now switched to a size 6 needle, and will switch again to a size 5 needle when I do the actual pleating. I debated using only size 5 needles for the entire sweater and decreasing stitches as I went up toward the shoulders, but ultimately decided that it would look cleaner to just keep decreasing needle sizes. I like to experiment when I knit, so… what the heck. If I don’t like the finished sweater, I can’t always knit a new one!
I hope you are having a great day. Happy knitting!